The Royal Victoria Patriotic Buildings; 2009
3 0 c m
actual image size: 32cm x 21cm

The Royal Victoria Patriotic Buildings; 2009

Torla Evans

© Museum of London

Full image caption

The Royal Victoria Patriotic Buildings were paid for by the Royal Victoria Patriotic Fund, established to provide for the widows and orphans of soldiers killed in the Crimean War. The building was intended as a girls’ school and opened in 1859.
During World War II, it became the London Reception Centre, used by MI5 to process non-British aliens entering the country. After the war it became a teacher training college, and then a comprehensive school, before the decaying fabric - many problems arising as a result of the techniques used to build it - forced them out.

The building was sold and gradually restored by its present owners, who had to endure, among other things, a fire in the Great Hall just before it was handed over. Building works took 7 years.

The building now contains flats, studios and workshops for businesses in the creative industries, a drama school and a wine bar.





2009 AD - 2009 AD

Image Number


buy a print

Select print type
Select size
How many prints?

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas