Barons Court Tube Station: 2009
4 0 c m
actual image size: 21cm x 32cm

Barons Court Tube Station: 2009

Torla Evans

© Museum of London

Full image caption

Barons Court Tube Station.
The tracks through Barons Court were first opened on 9 September 1874 when the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District Line) opened an extension from Earl's Court to Hammersmith. When the line was constructed the area now known as Barons Court was open fields and market gardens to the west of the settlement of North End and there was no call for a station between West Kensington and Hammersmith. By the beginning of the 20th century; however, the area had been developed for housing and, on 10 October 1905, the District Railway (DR) opened the station to serve these new developments and in preparation for the opening of the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway (GNP&BR, now the Piccadilly Line), then under construction.
The name Barons Court is probably inspired by the Baronscourt estate in Ireland, where Sir William Palliser, who built the entire area, had connections.





2009 AD - 2009 AD

Image Number


buy a print

Select print type
Select size
How many prints?

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas