Full image caption
The Woman's Press Shop, 156 Charing Cross Road. The Woman's Press shop opened in May 1910. Only three doors away from Oxford Street - London's main shopping street - its location was chosen carefully to 'attract the ordinary paser-by'. The premises comprised 12 rooms, including the shop. In July 1910 Votes for Women noted 'The Woman's Press is showing some beautiful motor and other scarves in various shades of purple as well as white muslin summer blouses and among the almost unending variety of bags, belts etc are the noticeable 'Emmeline' and 'Christabel' bags and the 'Pethick' tobacco pouch. In addition to books, games, blotters, playing cards and indeed almost everything that can be produced in purple, white and green'.
© Museum of London