The Open Air School in Bow: c.1950

Henry Grant

 
The Open Air School in Bow: c.1950
4 0 c m
 
30cm
actual image size: 22cm x 22cm

Full image caption

The Bow Road Open Air School was designed for children of ‘delicate health’. Away from mainstream education the pupils could receive medical attention, were weighed, measured and had their blood tested regularly. The children’s lessons were conducted outside or in south facing classrooms with large windows which were left open. Along with a regime of physical exercise, rest was believed to be very important and, as can be seen from the photograph, sleep times were included in the daily syllabus. In 1951 the school was rebuilt and became Farquharson and McMorran’s Phoenix School

Image Details

Artist/Photographer/Maker
 
Date
 
1950 AD - 1950 AD
Image Number
 
007003

© Henry Grant Collection/Museum of London

buy a print

Select print type
 
Select size
 
How many prints?
 
£25.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas