The exterior of the Imperial Institute; 1909
3 0 c m
actual image size: 29cm x 22cm

The exterior of the Imperial Institute; 1909

William Monk

© Museum of London

Full image caption

An etching depicting the exterior view of the Imperial Institute, South Kensington. Trial proof dated 16th June 1909.
The Imperial Institute, as it was first known, was established in 1887 as a result of the Colonial and Indian exhibition of 1886, by the governments of the United Kingdom and several countries of the British Empire to promote research which would benefit the Empire. Initially this was strongly biased towards scientific research that supported the industrial and commercial development of the dominions and colonies. At this time the UK had a policy of Commonwealth Preference in its trade relations.

The Imperial Institute was from 1893 located in a building on Exhibition Road, South Kensington, designed by T.E. Collcutt and built by John Mowlem & Co from 1887-1894.[1] The 85-metre tower, Queen's Tower off Exhibition Road, is now the last remaining part of the Imperial Institute; the remainder was demolished in the 1950s and 1960s to make way for Imperial College. Originally, there were three copper-roofed Renaissance-style towers, but only one survives.





1909 AD - 1909 AD

Image Number


buy a print

Select print type
Select size
How many prints?

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas