Hay's Galleria; 2009

 
Hay's Galleria; 2009
4 0 c m
 
30cm
actual image size: 21cm x 32cm

Full image caption

Hay's Galleria is a riverside shopping arcade and entertainment venue on the south bank of the River Thames. It is a converted 'wharf', in fact an enclosed dock, built in 1856 by Sir William Cubitt and originally known as Hay's Wharf, named after its owner, the merchant Alexander Hay.
During the nineteenth century, the wharf was one of the chief delivery points for ships bringing tea and cheese to the Pool of London. At its height, 80% of the dry produce imported to London passed through the wharf, and on this account the Wharf was nicknamed 'the Larder of London'. It was in use continually for over a century, although trade declined drastically after the Second World War and the surrounding area became increasingly economically depressed.

Image Details

Date
 
2009 AD - 2009 AD
Image Number
 
006498

© Museum of London

buy a print

Select print type
 
Select size
 
How many prints?
 
£25.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas