The Old Mill Public House;  2009
3 0 c m
40cm
actual image size: 32cm x 21cm

The Old Mill Public House; 2009

John Chase

© Museum of London

Full image caption

The Old Mill is a Domesday site, one of three in Bexley. This was a corn mill. In 1255, the miller, Auxellus, was censured for allowing the escape of a suspected murder.
It was owned by the Cannon family from 1839 to 1907. Stephen Cannon was the first of the Cannon family, also running mills on the River Darent. The miller in 1872 was Stephen Cannon (son), who concentrated the business at Bexley, the mills on the Darent being sold. A steam engine was installed in 1884, the tall chimney was built by a Mr Hart from Lancashire, who fell from the top whlilst doing repairs and lived to tell the tale as his fall was broken by the roof of the engine house. The Cannon family sold Bexley mill in 1907 The mill was used in its latter days for making sacks.
The mill was burnt down on 12 May 1966 and was replaced by the Old Mill PH, a pub with a mill theme.
 

Artist/Photographer/Maker

 

Date

2009 AD - 2009 AD
 

Image Number

006453
 

buy a print

Select print type
 
Select size
 
How many prints?
 
£25.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas