Full image caption
There have probably been windmills in the Lambeth area since medieval times and 12 sites have been identified, but the Brixton windmill is the only one to have survived. Built in 1816, it was leased the following year by John Ashby. John, his sons and grandson were millers producing stoneground wholemeal flour. The Ashby family operated the mill, which became known as Ashby's Mill, for the whole of its working life.
© Museum of London