Peter Jones Sloane Square; 2009

Torla Evans

Peter Jones Sloane Square; 2009
3 0 c m
40cm
actual image size: 32cm x 21cm

Full image caption

Peter Jones Sloane Square.
The shop is named after Peter Rees Jones (1843–1905), the son of a Monmouthshire hat manufacturer.
After serving an apprenticeship with a draper in Carmarthen he moved to London and established a small shop in Hackney. He then moved to Central London, and in 1877 moved to 4–6 Kings Road the site of the present store. The business flourished, soon expanding to cover most of the block.
After a period of troubled trading and the death of Rees Jones, the store was purchased by John Lewis of the eponymous Oxford Street store, who handed it over to his son John Spedan Lewis in 1914. Soon after it became part of the John Lewis profit sharing partnership.
The present building, which occupies an entire island site on the west side of Sloane Square, was built between 1932 and 1936 to designs by William Crabtree of the firm of Slater, Crabtree and Moberly. The building featured the first glass curtain walling in Britain and is now a Grade II listed building.

Image Details

Artist/Photographer/Maker
 
Date
 
2009 AD - 2009 AD
Image Number
 
006259

© Museum of London

buy a print

Select print type
 
Select size
 
How many prints?
 
£25.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas