St. Lukes Church Charlton; 2009

 
St. Lukes Church Charlton; 2009
4 0 c m
 
30cm
actual image size: 21cm x 32cm

Full image caption

St Luke's Church is the Parish church for Charlton. It was built on the site of a previous church in 1630 with funds left by the owner of Charlton House, Sir Adam Newton. There is a monument to Sir Adam inside the church. The nave, south aisle, porch, and tower date from 1630. The north aisle dates from 1639. A new chancel was added in 1840.

There were originally four bells in the tower, but they were put in storage during the Second World War. Apparently, on their return journey after the war, two bells were stolen, and one was damaged so badly that it had to be scrapped. The remaining bell, with its 28 inch mouth, is back in the belfry, and bears the date 1818.

The only remaining old stained glass window in the church bears the arms of the Wilson, Langhorn, Smith, Haddon and Weller families. It was saved by having been removed from its place during the last war, whereas others were destroyed by bomb blast.

Spencer Perceval, (1762-1812) the only British Prime Minister to be assassinated, is buried here, and there is a plaque and bust to him inside the church. Curiously, another victim of political assassination is also buried here: Charles Edward Drummond, the brother of the then Rector, who was killed by a maniac in mistake for Sir Robert Peel.

Image Details

Date
 
2009 AD - 2009 AD
Image Number
 
006078

© Museum of London

buy a print

Select print type
 
Select size
 
How many prints?
 
£25.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas