The Anchor Pub, Bankside; 2009
3 0 c m
actual image size: 32cm x 21cm

The Anchor Pub, Bankside; 2009

John Chase

© Museum of London

Full image caption

The Anchor Pub on The River Thames, was rebuilt in 1676 after fire devastated the area. The pubs original structure has been added to over the centuries, creating a maze of beamed rooms. One is named after Dr. Johnson, the lexicographer and writer, who drank here regularly and was a friend of the Thrale's who owned the pub. A copy of Johnson's dictionary is on display.
It was from this pub that Samuel Pepys witnessed the awesome destruction of the Great Fire of London in 1666.




2009 AD - 2009 AD

Image Number


buy a print

Select print type
Select size
How many prints?

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas