Thames Riverscape showing Hutchings Wharf; 1937
3 0 c m
40cm
actual image size: 24cm x 22cm

Thames Riverscape showing Hutchings Wharf; 1937

Avery Illustrations

© PLA collection/Museum of London

Full image caption

Thames Riverscape showing Hutchings Wharf, named after Alexander & John Hutchings who established a factory on the site between 1859 and 1886 from the Lenanton's Wharf to Atlas Chemical Works section of the north bank of the Thames. Part of a factory can be seen, Levy Brothers and Knowles Ltd, manufacturers of bags and sacks, from 1900- 1945.
In 1937 the Port of London Authority commissioned Avery Illustrations to document both banks of the Thames between London Bridge and Greenwich/Island Gardens. The result was a total of 276 black & white photographic prints, 124 for the North Bank and 132 for the South Bank. Joined together the prints form 2 panoramas that depict the busy working warehouses, factories, ships, tugs and barges that inhabited the banks of the Thames.
 

Artist/Photographer/Maker

 

Date

1937 AD - 1937 AD
 

Image Number

005370
 

buy a print

Select print type
 
Select size
 
How many prints?
 
£25.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas