Thames Riverscape showing Nicholson's  Wharf and Pontoon, and Billingsgate Market: 1937
3 0 c m
40cm
actual image size: 23cm x 22cm

Thames Riverscape showing Nicholson's Wharf and Pontoon, and Billingsgate Market: 1937

Avery Illustrations

© PLA collection/Museum of London

Full image caption

Thames Riverscape showing Nicholson's Wharf and Pontoon, and Billingsgate Market from the London Bridge to Tower Bridge section of the north bank of the Thames.
Nicholson's Wharf was named after its owner in the 19th century. It seems to have been originally called Buttolph's Gate. In the 1930s, these two wharves were occupied by Nicholson's Wharves Ltd, who handled dried and green fruit, canned goods and general Mediterranean produce. Billingsgate was London's principal trading dock until the 18th century. The dock was filled in when the new fish market was built in the 19th century.
In 1937 the Port of London Authority commissioned Avery Illustrations to document both banks of the Thames between London Bridge and Greenwich/Island Gardens. The result was a total of 276 black & white photographic prints, 124 for the North Bank and 132 for the South Bank. Joined together the prints form 2 panoramas that depict the busy working warehouses, factories, ships, tugs and barges that inhabited the banks of the Thames.
 

Artist/Photographer/Maker

 

Date

1937 AD - 1937 AD
 

Image Number

000429
 

buy a print

Select print type
 
Select size
 
How many prints?
 
£25.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas