White City under construction: 1907-1908
© Museum of London
Full image caption
This photograph shows the Court of Honour pavilion under construction. The building of White City began on 3 January 1907 and was completed in May 1908. During this period, 140 acres of barren fields at Shepherds Bush were transformed into a city of 20 white palaces and 120 exhibition halls built of steel and concrete. The construction cost £2 million and employed a workforce of 120,000.
1907 AD - 1908 AD