Silver tankard: 1676
 
 
 

Silver tankard: 1676

Jane Rutty

© Museum of London

image details

Full image caption
A silver tankard hallmarked London 1676. It is engraved on the front with the inscription: 'Given by order of Courte for the Hospitalls of Bridewell and Bethlem London to Benjamin Ducane Esquire as a memoriall of their thankes for his greate care and paines in building of New Bethlem and Bridewell and likewise of his faithfull discharge of the Office of Trer: in both Houses 27th April 1677'
Benjamin Ducane was Treasurer of Bridewell and Bedlam hospitals. His colleagues presented this tankard to him in recognition of his work. Ducane was a member of the Du Quesne family, Huguenots who came from Flanders in the 16th century, eventually settling in London. By the end of the century the family had become very influential and anglicised their name. Benjamin Ducane was at various times a Common Council man for Cheap and Cordwainer wards and in 1677 was living in Queen Street. He was removed from office as a dissenter in 1683 and restored by James II in 1688. He died in 1690.
Bethlem Hospital for the mentally ill was erected at its site in London Wall in 1676-77. Its methods of caring for patients were eventually imitated throughout the country.
Maker's mark 'IR' in a lozenge, possibly that of Jane, widow of Daniel Rutty, goldsmith of St Peter Westcheap.
 
Artist/Photographer/Maker
 
Date
1676 AD - 1676 AD
 
Image Number
000954
 
 

buy a print

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas