Tin-glazed earthenware plate: 1671-1690
© Museum of London
Full image caption
Tin-glazed earthenware plate of London manufacture with Chinoiserie design depicting Chinamen among moss-covered rocks in shades of blue on a white glaze. The plate was recovered from St Martin Vintry in a coffin, overlying the pelvis and abdomen. Although the church was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1666, burials continued afterwards. It was customary to place a receptacle of salt on a corpse in the belief that it prevented swelling or purging. This is the only known instance of delftware being used for this purpose.
1671 AD - 1690 AD