Artists' Homes No. 7 Studio and Residence at Holland Park Sir Fredk. Leighton PRA:1880
© Museum of London
Full image caption
Print cut from 'The Building News', October 1, 1880. This print cut depicts the back view of the house built by George Aitchison for the artist Frederic Leighton, now Leighton House Museum. The second storey studio has large windows and the domed Arab Hall can be seen on the right. In 1864 the artist Frederic Leighton commissioned architect George Aitchison to build this house near Holland Park. A number of other artists settled nearby and Leighton's residence and studio became one of the social centres of the London art world. In 1877 Aitchison extended the house by constructing the Arab Hall. This octagonal room was based on an Arabic palace in Palermo in Sicily. The hall has a domed roof, a central fountain and walls decorated with the artist's collection of Islamic tiles.
1880 AD - 1880 AD