Howland Great Dock near Deptford: 18th century
© Museum of London
Full image caption
Bird's eye view of Howland Great Dock, Deptford, Rotherhithe, Bermondsey, c.1717. Surrounding the dock are fields with cattle grazing and horse-drawn carriages passing by on the roads. The Dock was opened in 1700 as a facility for merchant ships. It was renamed 'Greenland Dock' when it was sold in 1763 to the South Sea Company for lease to whaling ships until 1809.
1715 AD - 1720 AD