Full image caption
Plan and elevation of the 'machine' for the Royal fireworks in St James's Park commemorating the Peace of Aix La Chapelle, October 1748. The huge temporary structure was erected in the northern part of St James's Park, now Green Park. The firework display was organised by the famous Italian pyrotechnist Giovanni Niccolo Servandoni in collaboration with the Royal Laboratory at Woolwich. A large number of souvenir prints were produced and the event is now best known for Handel's specially composed 'Music for the Royal Fireworks'.
© Museum of London