Full image caption
Bird's eye view of Sir William Ashurst's house at Highgate. He was Lord Mayor of London between 1693 and 1694 and director of the Bank of England. He died in 1720. By the beginning of the nineteenth century the estate had fallen into disrepair. The Church of England purchased the land, demolished the dilapidated manor house and built St. Michael's on its site where Coleridge and his family are buried in the vault. The estate's ground was allowed to lie fallow but the newly formed London Cemetery Company secured the overgrown orchard and park land for development in 1836 and Highgate cemetery opened there in 1839.
© Museum of London