The Mansion House: 18th century
© Museum of London
Full image caption
General view of a street scene showing the Mansion House to the right - completed at about 1744. The Bank of England, prior to its enlargement by Soane, can be seen in the mid-distance on the left, in Threadneedle Street. Lombard street turns away to the right. Cornhill is straight ahead, with many signs of coffee houses hung out over the street. Opposite these is the front of the second Royal Exchange with its central tower complete with a clock. The foreground shows two men with a large street plan of the immediate area showing the position of a statue of Sir John Barnard, which was originally erected in a niche in the Royal Exchange in 1747 but later moved - or proposed to be moved - as obliquely referred to in the doggerel verse under the picture. Barnard was an MP who opposed Walpole and displayed considerable expertise in matters of national finance.
1741 AD - 1760 AD