A View of the High Street, Southwark: 1830
© Museum of London
Full image caption
A view of the High Street, Southwark. This print shows the left half of Scharf's large southern view of the approach roads. The houses on the east side of Borough High Street remained standing for a few more years until they were demolished to create an open space next to the northern extension of St Thomas' Hospital. The whole area was transformed again when London Bridge Station was built in 1843. Tooley Street is the narrow road leading off immediately on the left, with the Tooley Street shot tower, used for manufacturing lead shot, beyond. The construction of new London Bridge and its approaches was a tourist attraction. In the left foreground, a couple with two children and a man carrying an umbrella have just been viewing the works. Lithograph.
1830 AD - 1830 AD