Full image caption
Almacks or Willis's Rooms. An ink and watercolour drawing of the front elevation of 'Almacks or Willis's Rooms', in King Street, St James's. The Golden Lion Tavern is at No. 25, a tavern has stood there since 1762. Almack's Assembly Rooms, founded by William Almack at No. 26-28, were on the site of the present Almack House. The club was originally a gaming establishment but moved from Pall Mall and in its new lease of life became the exclusive marriage market for eligible daughters of the town. The Assembly rooms were on the South side of King Street in St James's and were opened on February 12, 1765. At the time the subscription was ten guineas for which there was a ball and supper each week for the twelve weeks of the season. There was a large Ball room, of 100 feet by 44 feet, decorated with gilt columns and pilasters. The largest assembly at the rooms is recorded to be 1,700.
© Museum of London