A policewoman controlling traffic: 1964
© Henry Grant Collection/Museum of London
Full image caption
Women joined the City of London Police Force from 1949. The women's duties were mainly concerned with incidents involving females and juveniles, as well as patrol work. This policewoman is controlling the traffic along Ludgate Hill. She is wearing the service uniform including a peaked cap, white shirt and black tie. The white cuffs were worn as aids to visibility when on 'point duty'. In 1969 Norman Hartnell refreshed the women's uniform, designing a double-breasted box jacket with velvet collar, a white blouse with polka dots and a matching neck-tie.
1964 AD - 1964 AD