Church bell naming ceremony: 1957
© Henry Grant Collection/Museum of London
Full image caption
Church bell naming ceremony. After a ceremony to dedicate St Clement Danes as the church of the Royal Air Force, the ancient custom of naming the bells took place. By tradition, St Clement Danes was the church of the 'flower girls'. Eighty-year-old Dinah Wilson, who had run a flower stall at Norfolk Street, decorated the bells with greenery, oranges and lemons. Afterwards these fruits were given to local children and the traditional 'Oranges and Lemons' tune was rung on the bells.
1957 AD - 1957 AD