Full image caption
Barto Valle's Italian Warehouse, Haymarket . Shop assistant with five customers. The customer he is serving smells a substance in a bottle. The surrounding shelves are stacked with various goods. This establishment was founded at Haymarket in 1761 and continued until 1911. The eastern side of Haymarket was at the time described as "a pleasant promenade" with "many eminent tradesmen's houses". There were many foreigners settled in the neighbourhood and during the earlier 18th century the chapel in Oxenden Street held services in Italian.
© Museum of London