Full image caption
Billingsgate Market, 1851. As late as 1840 Billingsgate consisted only of sheds, and the market seen here was designed in 1850 by J.B. Bunning, the City Architect, who also built the Coal Exchange. In 1850, the City Corporation instructed its architect, James Bunning, to replace the old dock and fish market at Billingsgate. The dock was filled in and a new building constructed overlooking the Thames. The new market opened in 1852, but the facilities couldn't manage the amount of fish handled and sold each day. In 1875, the market was enlarged and Bunning's building was replaced by one designed by by Sir Horace Jones.
© Museum of London