Full image caption
Unloading cargo from the S.S. Grigna at Tilbury. An import of miscellaneous fibre was lifted by hydraulic crane from the ship deck to the waiting dockers. The photographer, John Avery, noted 'a madras cargo' on the back of the photograph, indicating that it came from India, or was perhaps the textured cloth named 'madras' after that city. Most of the shipping in Tilbury Docks at this time was trading with the Orient. The principal steamship line was the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Co (P&O). Tilbury's location, just over 25 miles downriver from London Bridge, encouraged increasing passenger traffic in addition to the import and exports cargoes it handled.
1905 AD - 1925 AD
© PLA collection/Museum of London