Full image caption
PLA (Port of London Authority) headquarters, Trinity Square, Tower Hill. In 1912 the architect Sir Edwin Cooper was commissioned to design the Port of London Authority's new headquarters. It was to be built within Catherine Court, Trinity Square in Tower Hill. Before demolition of the existing building, John Avery was commissioned by the authority to photograph this view. The chairman, Lord Davenport, laid the foundation stone for the new building in 1915. The main contractor was J Mowlem & Co Limited. The Prime Minister Lloyd George opened the new building with its 174-foot (over 53-metre) tower in 1922.
1912 AD - 1915 AD
© PLA collection/Museum of London