Full image caption
Tilbury Docks under redevelopment. In 1926 improvement works began at Tilbury Docks. This involved the construction of a new entrance lock to the west of the main dock, where John Avery took this photograph, in April 1928. The main dock was also extended and a new dry dock was constructed alongside the existing ones. The great volume of shipping in the Port of London supported an extensive ship-repair industry. Dry docks were in demand. The industry was dominated by three firms including R H Green & Silley Weir and the London Graving Dock Company. Premises for both these firms were in the dry docks at Tilbury.
1928 AD - 1928 AD
© PLA collection/Museum of London