Looking over the western end of the London Docks:1921
© PLA collection/Museum of London
Full image caption
Looking over the western end of the London Docks. Between 1912 and 1914 the Port of London Authority made a number of adjustments to the dock. The wooden jetty in the western dock was rebuilt in concrete, and two-storey transit sheds were built on top. The Tobacco Dock passage between the western and eastern docks was also widened. Brick tobacco warehouses on the left are both old and new. One of these could store 24,000 barrels (known as hogsheads) of tobacco. Wool, tobacco and wine were the principal cargoes handled in London Docks, and barrels along the Wine Quay can be seen in this photo. St Katharine's Dock and Tower Bridge are visible in the distance.
1921 AD - 1921 AD