Full image caption
Battersea Power Station. The temple of power, as Battersea Power Station had been dubbed, had doubled in size three years before this photo was taken. By 1955,Station B was completed to mirror the existing station, adding a fourth and final chimney to the prominent building. The third-largest power station in the United Kingdom, it supplied almost a fifth of Londons total electricity demands. Wolf Suschitzkys photo emphasises the impact of such a colossal building on the local environment. Pollution and health had become significant issues in the late 1950s, following the death of thousands after Londons great smog of 1952 and the introduction of the Clean Air Act in 1956.
© Family Suschitzky/Donat /Museum of London