Parr Pot; Sudeley Castle Tankard: 16th century
© Museum of London
Full image caption
Parr Pot; Sudeley Castle Tankard. A globular tankard of vetro a fili latticino glass with a silver-gilt lid and foot-ring. The hallmarks are the earliest complete English set known, including all four marks, viz. the date letter for 1546-7, the leopard crowned, the lion passant and the makers mark a fleur-de-lis. The coat of arms enamelled on the lid are those of the Parr family, combining the azure bars of Parr with the sable water bougets of Ross. The influx of precious metal imports and the dispersal of church silver at the Reformation meant that more silver was available for domestic plate. Those unable to afford silver, or wishing to enhance valued pieces of glass of pottery, ordered precious metal mounts.The arms are those of Sir William, Lord Parr of Horton in Northamptonshire, uncle to Queen Catherine, whom he served as Chamberlain until his death in 1546. Recent analysis suggests that the glass is a later, perhaps 18th or 19th century replacement.
1546 AD - 1547 AD