Full image caption
Presentation box for socketed axe, made of piles from the earliest Kew bridge (1758/9), with metal fittings and cloth lining embossed with Mappin Brothers stamp. Two inscriptions on the lid of the box read: 'This box was made from one of the oak piles of the original wooden bridge at Kew, built in 1758. 1903.' and 'Bronze axe with portion of the original wooden haft, found during the construction of the new bridge over the Thames between Brentford and Kew, 1902.' Part of a set of items with original boxes, presented to Edward VII at opening of Kew Bridge, 20 May 1903. Kew Bridge, River Thames.
© Museum of London