Stafford House, Saint James's, London - section through the centre of the house: 19th century
© Museum of London
Full image caption
Stafford House, Saint James's, London - section through the centre of the house. A scale section of Stafford House, Saint James's (now Lancaster House), in Stable Yard, backing onto Green Park. Originally the 17th century Godolphin House, it was renamed York House when taken over and substantially rebuilt by the Duke of York, brother of George IV, to designs by Wyatt, but was unfinished on his death. The government paid off the debts and sold a lease to the Marquess of Stafford (later 1st Duke of Sutherland) who renamed it for himself. The 4th Duke sold it in 1912 to Sir William Lever (later Viscount Leverhulme) who renamed it Lancaster House (for his home county) and in 1913 gave it to the nation for government hospitality and a home for the London Museum, which was housed there until 1946.
1841 AD - 1845 AD