New Caledonian Market: 1854
3 0 c m
40cm
actual image size: 32cm x 18cm

New Caledonian Market: 1854

© Museum of London

Full image caption

New Caledonian Market. Watercolour. General view of the Caledonian Meat Market. The Corporation of London ran the new Metropolitan Cattle Market in Islington. The market was popularly known as the Caledonian Cattle Market after the name of the road that formed one of its boundaries. James Bunning, the City of London's architect, designed the site with a clock tower at the centre and a tavern at each corner. The market could accommodate 7000 cattle and 42,000 sheep at any one time. Market days for cattle, sheep and pigs were Mondays and Thursdays, with horses and goats on Fridays.
 

Date

1854 AD - 1854 AD
 

Image Number

002562
 

buy a print

Select print type
 
Select size
 
How many prints?
 
£25.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas