Full image caption
Bow Street Office. Etching and aquatint. Interior view with crowd. Bow Street was built between 1633 and 1677. Bow Street Office was a Magistrates Court where criminals were brought and their cases heard. Witnesses gave evidence before the magistrate. The original six Bow Street Runners, whose role was to apprehend and capture the criminals, was increased to 70 men in 1792.
© Museum of London