Full image caption
View of Highbury Place and Highbury Fields. Watercolour. The expanding city engulfed parishes like St Mary Islington, which stretched from Clerkenwell to Highgate. Its population increased from 10,212 in 1801 to 155,291 by 1861. Highbury Place was developed speculatively by John Spiller in the late 18th century. At first, many of its 39 houses were unoccupied or let for low rents. But Highbury Place soon became a very desirable location. John Nicholls, editor of The Gentleman's Magazine, and Abraham Newland, Chief Cashier of the Bank of England, were residents here in the early 19th century.
© Museum of London