Full image caption
View of the Regent's Canal, by the City Road Basin. Watercolour. Opened in 1820, Regent's Canal ran from Limehouse in the east to Paddington in the west, where it connected with the Grand Junction Canal. It was built to link London's docks with the manufacturing areas of the Midlands and the North. Specialist canal carriers had depots at the City Basin, just north of the City of London. In 1830, Pickfords, one of the largest, had a fleet of 120 flyboats, with 15 boats a week just on the Birmingham route.
© Museum of London