Waterloo Bridge and the Lambeth Waterfront from Westminster Stairs: 1821
© Museum of London
Full image caption
Waterloo Bridge and the Lambeth Waterfront from Westminster Stairs. Oil on canvas. View of St Mary-le-Strand spire, Somerset House, St. Clement Danes towers and spires, St Andrew's Holborn, St. Sepulchre's and St. Brides. On the right is Lambeth waterfront, still largely composed of timber yards and wharves. Lambeth Waterworks tower can also be seen as well as the Patent Shot Manufactory square tower. St Paul's dominates the cityscape beyond. Barges are moored on the river. A Thames waterman in brown uniform is about to ferry passengers across to Lambeth. Called the Strand Bridge during its construction, Waterloo Bridge was opened by the Prince Regent (later George IV) on 18 June 1817, the second anniversary of the battle of Waterloo. It was designed by the great engineer John Rennie. Initially pedestrians and vehicles had to pay to cross, though the toll was lifted in 1877. The bridge was demolished in 1936 and replaced by the current bridge.
1821 AD - 1821 AD