Full image caption
Plan of the east side of Whitehall Palace. Ink and wash drawing. Plan showing a perspective of the area after the 4 January 1698 conflagration which destroyed the entire residential part of Whitehall Palace, the damaged site was gradually leased out to noblemen who slowly constructed fine town houses on the riverside. By the early 19th c. the map shows a terrace of large houses called Whitehall Gardens. General Sir Charles Stuart is shown as the tenant of the house in the bottom RH corner of Whitehall Court. He took out the lease in 1793 and died in 1801. Hence the dating of this map which shows the properties still in direct Crown use and those leased out to noblemen and others.
© Museum of London