Full image caption
Exterior of the houses adjoining the Bloody Tower, the Tower of London. The Bloody Tower was originally called the Garden Tower because it was at the corner of the Queen's House garden, but during the sixteenth century its name was changed to the Bloody Tower because of its supposed association with the young Princes in the Tower, who disappeared in 1483. The proximity of the tower to the Queen's house and the style of accommodation did make it a suitable place for noble prisoners. Its most famous resident was Sir Walter Raleigh, for whom a second floor was added in 1605-6.
© Museum of London