Full image caption
The Public Soup Kitchen; A Plea for the Poor. An engraving of a soup kitchen at 295 Euston Road, near Tottenham Court Road, from the Illustrated Times, 18 December 1858. The sign depicted on the wall reads 'North-West Public Soup Kitchen Instituted to Assist in Preserving the Health of the Labouring Classes'. The soup kitchen was established in 1846, under the presidency of Lord Southampton.. 'Its object is to prepare and sell good cheap soup for the poor'
© Museum of London