Full image caption
Watch House, Covent Garden. On west side of Covent Garden Piazza and south side of St Paul's church. On the left is a three-storey brick house built in 1729-30 which replaced Inigo Jones' original south west house. In the 18th century, the vestry of St Paul's, Covent Garden, employed over 20 watchmen at their watch-house beside the church. In 1829, the newly formed Metropolitan Police Force took over this building as one of their first police stations. It became the headquarters of 'F Division' under the control of Superintendent Thomas. Soon, complaints were voiced about its small size and lack of facilities. By 1837, a new station had been built for them in Bow Street.
© Museum of London