Full image caption
Custom House Pier and Hayes Wharf. George Davison Reid photographed this busy scene at Custom House Quay, looking towards Hay's Wharf on the South Bank. The area became known as 'London's Larder', because it handled dairy produce, tea, coffee and other foodstuffs. During the 1930s, Custom House Quay was home to the Dutch company of William H Muller. The Neutral, a German-owned general cargo steamer built in 1894, would have come up the river through Tower Bridge.
© Museum of London