Greenmoor Wharf rubbish depot, Bankside: 20th century
© Museum of London
Full image caption
Greenmoor Wharf rubbish depot, Bankside. Greenmoor Wharf was the site of Southwark Corporation's rubbish depot when George Davison Reid took this photo. Refuse, transported by horse and cart, was loaded into barges using chutes and hydraulic cranes. Once laden, the barges would head downriver to the estuary. Horse manure would be separated out and used to fertilise agricultural land.
1920 BC - 1933 AD