Full image caption
Bomb damage at the Chamberlain's Office, Guildhall. Mr F. A. George, Commander of the Guildhall's Fire Squad No 2, ordered fire-watch duties on 29 December 1940. This was one of the heaviest night raids of the Blitz and many of the City's old and vulnerable timber buildings were destroyed. Fire from the bombed St Jewry had drifted to the Guildhall's roof by 9pm. Winds spread the flames and ashes around the complex, including the Chamberlain's Office. The Thames was at low tide so water pressure in the hoses was low. Unable reach the roof with hoses, volunteers moved dangerously along the roof with buckets of water, but by 10.30pm the building had to be abandoned. Police Constables Arthur Cross and Fred Tibbs photographed the remains the following morning.
© Museum of London/By Kind Permission of The Commissioner of the City of London Police