Full image caption
Two school badges. On the left is a silver school badge from the British and Foreign School, in Southwark. On the right is Hackney Free and Parochial School badge presented to J.G. Wheeler in 1873. In early 19th-century London, school medals and prizes were used to reward conscientious pupils. The funds often came from wealthy local benefactors. Other sorts of rewards were paid to children after they had left school and had been apprenticed or become servants.
© Museum of London