The Old Bun House: 19th Century
© Museum of London
Full image caption
"The Old Bun House" at Chelsea. Watercolour picture of the interior of the Old Chelsea Bun House, painted by F. N. Shepherd in the year that it finally closed down when it was pulled down and its building material and museum exhibits were sold at auction. The Chelsea Bun House was in Jews Row (now Pimlico Road), Pimlico. From the early 18th century, when Swift frequented it, the interior was decorated with foreign clocks and strange collections of natural curiosities. On Good Fridays huge crowds were drawn to the Bun House which was particulary famed for its baked goods, especially the buns now known as 'Chelsea Buns'. The room is decorated with a strange gothic outdoor settle, a number of glass cases, some toy soldiers and several painted portraits.
1837 AD - 1839 AD