Full image caption
This is a carbon print image of Old Houses in Aldgate. In the 1870s and 80s, Henry Dixon was commissioned by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London to record historic buildings threatened with demolition. These old houses in Aldgate, known as the 'Shambles', were demolished in 1880 to make way for the Metropolitan Railway's extension from Aldgate to Tower Hill. The photograph was first published in 1883.
© Museum of London